After moving to Colorado, Ed started cutting meat at Belleview Market in downtown Denver. Then in 1923 he opened his own business, Oliver's Meat Market on east 6th Avenue and Pearl Street in Denver. Oliver's sold the meat and Piggly Wiggly®/ Safeway® sold the produce.
Then in 1939, Safeway® elected to venture out on their own. Safeway® retained the lease to the building, so Oliver's and Piggly Wiggly® had to relocate. They decided to move right up the street, just about 5 blocks to 6th and Marion, so as to not to move too far from all of their loyal customers.
In the early 1940's Ed's son, Dick would become a co-owner. Then in the early 1960's Dick's son, Berry E. and also become a co-owner of the business. Ed would continue to work at Oliver's up until his early 90's.